Lady Elliot Island Management is constantly striving to improve quality standards and introduce eco initiatives to make the island a role model in best environmental practice.
Future initiatives include:
- Long term goal - Reduce our diesel/generator reliance to zero
- Improve/replace current water treatment system.
- Improve/replace current water desalination system.
- Convert all diesel use on the island to Biodiesel.
- Research and introduce green technology waste system.
- Improve current recycle practices - glass, cans, plastic.
- Investigate organic, environmentally friendly options for hotel room toiletries.
- Reduce our carbon footprint with aircraft access.
- Gain Climate Action Certification from Ecotourism Australia.
- Rehabilitate the islands vegetation to encourage native species to thrive and remove invasive species.
- Develop a Reef Walking trail in conjunction with University of Queensland's CoralWatch program, allowing guests hands on experience in monitoring processes.