A historical snapshot of Lady Elliot Island

After its discovery in 1816, Lady Elliot Island was mined intensively for guano (bird poo) which was used as a fertiliser, an industry that was beginning to boom at the time. This process was extremely destructive, leaving the island bare and barren for years to come, due to the removal of all soil and vegetation. It wasn’t until 1969 that tourism arrived in the form of Don Adams who commenced revegetation work, which has over time, led to the eco paradise that thrives here today.

Check out our historical snapshot below for some of the key stepping stones in the island’s history.